Click for larger image
- Brand new retrospective of Burke’s critically-acclaimed, recorded material for Atlantic Records from 1962-1965 including the hit song, “Everybody Needs Somebody to Love,” featured in the Blues Brothers movie soundtrack. It is the first domestic vinyl collection of his ground breaking Atlantic recordings released since 1966.
- Each LP is individually numbered and strictly limited based on pre orders
- 1LP, 180g, black vinyl pressed at Record Industry comes in a single sleeve UV-gloss, old school tip-on Stoughton sleeve with brand new artwork
- Solomon Burke has sold 17 million albums, had 35 charting singles, is a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and has been ranked by Rolling Stone on their list of “100 Greatest Singers of All Time” during his career. His most famous recordings in the early to mid-1960s, many of which are featured in this collection, bridged the gap between mainstream and grittier R&B.
Solomon Burke helped to shape the sound of rhythm and blues as one of the founding fathers of soul music. He had a litany of hit singles in the 1960s for Atlantic Records including “Cry to Me, “If You Need Me,” “Down in the Valley,” and “Everybody Needs Somebody to Love” to name a few. Atlantic Records’ co-founder Jerry Wexler has referred to Burke as “the greatest male soul singer of all time” and it was reported that he signed a “handshake” deal with the label within ten minutes of originally entering Wexler’s office. His signing helped to reinvigorate the label, as stars Bobby Darin and Ray Charles had just left. Drawing inspiration from gospel, jazz, country and blues – Burke developed his own unique style and was often called “The King of Rock ‘n’ Soul” earning him a wide bi-racial audience. Due to his spiritual background he refused to be classified as an R&B singer because of its labeled stigma by the church. During his almost six decades of performing, he released 38 studio albums and had 35 charting singles including 26 that made the Billboard R&B charts. In 2001, he was inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame as a performer. Burke is one of the most important male vocalists in music history and has influenced legendary rockers such as the Rolling Stones, Elvis Costello, Van Morrison, the Animals and Tom Petty.
- Just Out of Reach (Of My Two Open Arms)
- Cry To Me
- Down in the Valley
- Looking For My Baby
- Baby (I Wanna Be Loved)
- I’m Hanging Up My Heart For You
- Home In Your Heart
- If You Need Me
- Go On Back to Him
- Got To Get You Off My Mind
- Can’t Nobody Love You
- Goodbye Baby (Baby Goodbye)
- Everybody Needs Somebody to Love