Click for larger image
GOLDEN SMOG “DOWN BY THE OLD MAINSTREAM” Limited and numbered to 1755 LPs. We expect Golden Smog to ship around 6/1/18.
• 2-LP, 180-gram, color vinyl pressed at Record Industry.
• Tip on gatefold aqueous gloss Stoughton jacket with printed inner sleeves
• Individually numbered and limited to one pressing.
• First repress since 2010, when it was first issued on vinyl
• A lost classic from the 1990s that includes Jeff Tweedy of Wilco, Dan Murphy of Soul Asylum & Gary Louris of the Jayhawks.
Golden Smog is a Minneapolis-based, loosely connected inter-changeable group of musicians from notable bands comprising members of Wilco, Soul Asylum, The Replacements, The Jayhawks, Run Westy Run, Big Star and the Honeydogs. Since their inception in 1989, many members have come and gone, with the following musicians having appeared on all recordings: Kraig Johnson (Run Westy Run), Dan Murphy (Soul Asylum), Gary Louris (Jayhawks) and bassist Marc Perlman (Jayhawks). The group originally played in and around Minneapolis doing mainly cover song sets as a country-rock reaction to the punk and hardcore music that dominated the region. In 1995 they released their debut album, “Down By the Old Mainstream,” recorded at Pachyderm Recording Studio that was made up of mainly original material with a few covers. Drummer Chris Mars of the Replacements was gone by now and the line-up consisted of Johnson, Murphy, Louris, Perlman and two new members: Jeff Tweedy of Wilco and Honeydogs drummer Noah Levy. All members were credited under pseudonyms to avoid contractual issues with their other record companies.
2. Ill Fated
3. Pecan Pie
4. Yesterday Cried
1. Glad & Sorry
2. Won’t Be Coming Home
3. He’s A Dick
1. Walk Where He Walked
2. Nowhere Bound
1. She Don’t Have To See You
2. Red Headed Stepchild
3. Williamton Angel
4. Radio King